Income Tax Documents

Under the Income-tax rules, 1962 and Income Tax Act 1961 some documents are required for the submission and to be provided as the evidence. Each and every individual who is having an income, tax is applicable for them and they need to act and submit the necessary documents to the IT Department. With the help of the PAN Permanent Account Number, the IT Department will identify the person.

Income Tax Documents

The individuals who fall under this Income Tax Act, 1961 are as follows-

  • A one-person company
  • A company
  • A firm
  • A HUF Hindu Undivided Family
  • A limited liability Firm
  • As an association of person if incorporated or not
  • Artificial juridical person,
  • A local authority

As PAN should be the important document to be submitted, one can apply for the PAN Cards if they are not having by submitting the following documents.

Along with Form 49A which is the application allotment of the PAN these documents should be given by individuals/ HUFs.

  • Address Proof
  • Identity Proof
  • DOB Proof if the applicant is other than the HUF/Individual.

Registration copy certificate

  • Board resolution Copy
  • Address Copy

If any individual wants to get the TAN which is Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number, the following documents have to be submitted along with Form 49B. Form 49B is the application form for the collection account number and allotment of the tax. The documents to be submitted are-

PAN Card Copy-

Depending on the source of income the basic documents need to be submitted. Only the person who falls under the IT brackets can file this ITR. List of the persons with the type of income they achieve and the documents which they have to submit.

Capital Gains income-

  • Receipts of purchase and sale proof of the capital assets
  • Immovable properties sale and purchase deeds.
  • For the security of the purchase and sale, a note of the contract/ Demat Account statement needs to be submitted.

Salary Income-

  • Form 16

In Business/profession income-

  • Audit Records
  • TDS Certificates
  • Balance Sheets
  • IT payment challan copy

Other sources of income

  • Dividend incomes dividend warrant
  • TDS Certificate for bank FD interest
  • TDS Certificate/ rent agreement
  • Any other documentary proof.

Tax Saving Investments-

  • Receipt of paid tuition fee
  • Certificate of Home loan repayment
  • The insurance premium paid certificate
  • Medical insurance receipt
  • Receipt of Fixed Deposit
  • Mutual fund Consolidated Account Statement
  • Repayment certificate of education loan.
  • Donation Paid receipt.

HRA Exemption

  • Receipt of paid rent.

Medical Expenses Tax deduction-

  • Medical bills

Travel allowance-

  • Receipts of ticket purchase.

If the individuals are having the charitable trust they should register for the ITR by filling Form 10A. Along with Form 10A following documents has to be submitted.

  • Creation of trust evidence documents.
  • Trust deeds certified copies which should be in real.
  • Previous three year’s accounts copies, the year in which application is made is preceded.

For the individuals who are running the business under Section 44AA.

Anyone who is running a business has to maintain the account books and also the other relevant documents to calculate the income as per the Provisions Act.

  • Sales bills
  • Credit Note
  • Debit Note
  • Purchase bills
  • Fixed Assets Registers
  • Inventory registers
  • Party Ledgers
  • Bank statements
  • Confirmation of Accounts
  • Bank Pass Book
  • Tax Audit report
  • Audited Annual accounts
  • Water Bills
  • Electricity Bills
  • Utility bills
  • Contract note
  • Import and export related papers
  • Details about the party transactions.
  • Stock register
  • Production flow chart
  • Daily Vouchers

Along with the above documents the following copies should also be kept by all the individuals-

  • TCS return copy
  • Annual return copy
  • Excise Duty return copy
  • TDS Return copy
  • Exemption of TDS certificate
  • Statutory obligations payment challans
  • Certificates that are related to the tax benefits under different provisions Act.
  • CST/VAT returns a copy.
  • Copy of other Statutory returns

The following copies should be kept by all the individuals- These all documents have to submit only if applicable

  • Limited liability partnership deed
  • Partnership deed
  • Memorandum and articles of association
  • Excise registration number certificate
  • Registration certificates
  • Import and export code number certificates
  • CST/VAT Registration number certificate
  • Service tax registration number certificate
  • Professional tax number certificate
  • Shop and Establishment number certificate

These documents have to be kept by all the individuals who avail of loan facilities.

  • Loan closure letter
  • Loan confirmation letter
  • Letter For Loan disbursement letter
  • Loan agreement along with the financial institution or bank
  • Receipts of the loan repayment.