If any individual has paid the excess tax amount during the financial year at the time of filing the ITR of the year, they can apply for the refund of the excess amount. As per the IT income tax act, to claim the refund, an individual needs to file a return in the relevant assessment year by the 31st of July.
ITR Refund Status
To know the details about the ITR refund and procedure of knowing the ITR refund status follow the below content. This content contains the details about the following
- To receive a refund, when the taxpayer is eligible?
- The details of the due amount for refunding to the taxpayer?
- Procedure for knowing the refund status?
To receive a refund, when the taxpayer is eligible?
The amount which is paid to the taxpayer by the government when he/she pays the excess amount in their tax is called the income tax refund. This situation comes at times for many reasons. Some reasons are –
- If any individual’s income is Rs.2.5 Lakhs per anum and they do not fall into the taxable bracket, and still the employer deducted the taxes on their income. Then they can claim for the refund of the excess tax deducted on the salary.
- Sometimes income tax officers of the taxpayers may call upon to pay the additional taxes. This can be done following some additions added to their income with the It proceedings. With the help of the appeal authorities, these additions of the tax amount can be deleted. These taxes can be refunded to the taxpayers that have been paid.
- Once the all documentary has been proved by the employee to the employer as per the 80C investments and more, then the employer will deduct the taxes from the employee’s salary. As there is no proof for such investments the employer will go ahead with the higher deductions. Then the employee can claim for the tax refund for the higher paid taxes.
The details of the due refunding amount, for refunding to the taxpayer?
Once the taxpayer claims for the refund of the income, the process will be carried out by the tax department. After this, the taxpayer will receive the intimation. This intimation of the refund process will be receiving from the CPC under the 143(1) section. This will confirm the quantum of the refund that the taxpayer is eligible to receive. The refund amount can be the same amount you claimed for or it can be higher or lower than the amount you claimed in the return of income. From the tax department, only this refund amount will be received to the taxpayers.
By the order, the income tax officer, the appeal authorities will delete the additional amount which is due to the taxpayer. This is the procedure followed by the tax department to refund the amount.
Procedure to check the refund status?
The determination of refund is raised the tax department will start the process. The status of the refund can be checked as follows-
- The NSDL website
- Income tax e-filing portal
The NSDL Website
- Reach the official web portal of the NSDL where you can check the status of the refund of the tax.
- To know the refund status you have to give the details asking in the page like your PAN details, the AY, and the image which is given on the screen. Once giving the details enter the Submit button.
After this, another page will be showing which shows the details of the status of the refund as shown in the below image-
INCOME TAX E-FILING PORTAL
- To know the status of the tax return visits the official web portal of the tax department.
- After visiting here logon to your account.
- You can log in to your account by providing your ID, password, and captcha details.
- Now login.
- Now click on the View Returns/Forms on the following page.
- After this enter, the “Income Tax returns” against “select an option” and the relevant Assessment Year and then submit. To know all the details of the about what is on the AY Assessment Year.
- Click on the acknowledgment number
- The highlighted details on the given page will be the income tax refund status.
- This is how you can check the income tax refund status.